Every year, over 90,000 foreign workers enter Canada to work temporarily in jobs that help Canadian employers address skill shortages, or as live-in caregivers. Applications may be done from outside of Canada, from inside Canada, or as you enter Canada.

To work in Canada, you must meet the general requirements for entering the country and for staying in Canada. Family members, such as your spouse or common-law partner and dependent children may apply to accompany you in Canada.

A work permit does not allow you to live in Canada permanently. To be a permanent resident of Canada, you must qualify under an immigration category. Live-in caregivers can stay in Canada permanently if they meet certain requirements.


Information Technology Workers

To fill up critical shortages in Canada's software industry, Canada has simplified the entry process in this industry. This means that the work permit application may be processed more quickly.

Live-in Caregivers

Live-in caregivers are people who are qualified to care for children, elderly persons, or persons with disabilities. There are a list of requirements that have to be met, such as the successful completion of the equivalent of a Canadian secondary school, at least six months training or at least one year of full-time experience during the past three years, fluent in English or French, has a written contract with your future employer, has a work permit, among other things.

Once in Canada, you can extend your stay by submitting an application for a change in status. This may be a renewal of your work permit, changing jobs, or becoming a permanent resident in Canada. You are eligible to become a permanent resident of Canada after you have worked for two years as a live-in caregiver within three years of your date of arrival. If you wish, you may also include your family members in your application for permanent residency at the time you apply for your permanent residency status in Canada.

Business People

Under this special category, business people are those falling under the following free trade agreements: North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), Canada-Chile Free Trade Agreement (CCFTA), and the General Agreement on Trade in Services (GATS).

NAFTA applies to four specific categories of business people: business visitors, professionals, intra-company transferees, and traders and investors.

If you want to explore the possibilities of working in Canada, the Standard Immigration Group can assist you. Please email our office at info@standardimmigration.com. If you are already in Canada and would like assistance, please call our office at 604 899 1124.